Vogue Australia, May, 2008
This print design was one of my initial inspirations and I really liked the subtle colour transition used for the background so I decided to
change tact in creating my background designs and try cropping and
zooming in on different areas of my photos to try create natural colour
gradients...
I cropped this photo down to a section on the main petal where there is a colour transition from orange to purple to red.
I then enlarged this section and flipped it on the vertical axis.(I realised afterwards that this selection actually featured an ant sitting there which I loved as it added to the natural authenticity of the print.)
I really like the natural transition of colours created in this image and think it has great possibility to be turned into something more...
I then repeated these effects [crop, enlarge, flip] on another section of the flowers petals to create this darker colour transition. I think this background has more depth and I could really envisage an interesting detailed design on top so I started pieces together some of my original flower motifs...
These are are the 3 flower motifs I started designing with
I started by adding a sketch filter to the images, and then began duplicating, rotating and resizing each flower creating a montage of sorts...
This was then overlayed onto my gradient background
I then attempted to put the simple montage into a toss repeat.
I rotated the canvas as I thought vertical lines would be more slimming for a textile garment...
I rotated the canvas as I thought vertical lines would be more slimming for a textile garment...
I was quite pleased with this outcome but again I did not love it, I feel it lacks interest and is a bit too boring I decided I wouldnt want to wear a garment made using this print
I thought I may as well see what the toss montage would look like on my original colour gradient and played around with different rotations, mirrors and filters...
I think number 1 is my favourite and could possibly be further developed into my final design!















