Sunday, April 22, 2012

triangles and halfdrops


I thought I'd play around with this photo a bit more, and try be more creative trying out some different types of symmetrical motifs...



This time I decided to try and create a shape out of my flower motif and I thought triangles are quite contemporary and seem to be appearing often in textiles prints at the moment. 
I found using the rulers and guides (with snap turned on) really helpful in creating a perfect triangle.


I love this design! I fiddled with adjustments a bit to make the colours a little more vibrant and I think it is excellent. The design is still highly identifiably as a bird of paradise flower although the centre triangle gives the motif a really modern edge. 


Because I loved the above design so much I thought it would look amazing in repeat... little did I know.
Maybe because I did such a simple repeat and added such an ugly filter (mosaic) I think the beauty of the original motif is lost and it turns into a really boring, uniformed print.







 hmmmm, what to do now?






I duplicated the original layers then played with the layers and filters to create deeper colours. While I was duplicating the layers I thought I would see what it would look like if I then rotated one of the layers.. due to the perfect symmetry of the original centre triangle the rotation created a really sharp 6-point star and added volume to leaves in the design. 


After carefully following numerous tutorials I finally managed to create a half drop!!!! 


Although I am stoked I managed to create a successful half drop I'm not too sure about the 6-point star centre that's going on. At first when it was just a singular motif I thought it looked kind of cool although after seeing it in repeat  and from a distance (as a garment it will not always be viewed from up close) I think it looses the simple clarity of lines and the becomes average looking.
I think overall the intricate detail in the original flower motif is lost when repeated en mass and it all becomes too busy and almost tiring to look at.

Reflection

I think I have decided that I really don't like plain repeats and that I would like my final textile design to have more to it, such as an interesting background or maybe I could create some sort of intricate design out of each of the flower motifs I have created...